You will definitely need to use the Dark Arts for this, but Nickelodeon have put up the first episode of The Crystal Maze US a week before it airs. Here’s the Youtube link, but it’s geolocked so get your VPNs ready.
- They’re into the first game within two minutes.
- Despite that they only get 8 games + Dome. The Megacrystal is also in effect. Plenty of between game chat, and certainly before the Dome.
- Graphics have been touched up a lot – zone map transitions look great, as does the VR game from last series.
- Games from all (modern) series have been used, a medieval game has been adapted for Eastern.
- Games are a bit easier – extra lives, extra thirty seconds added for some of them.
- Breaks mid-game because it’s America.
- Dome is $100 per gold, -$100 per silver, more than 100 gold after deductions bumps the prize up to $25,000.
- I hope you like high pitched screaming because there’s a lot of it.
- Jury out on Adam Conover for me. There’s not really a lot of room for him to be funny in an endearingly odd way, and his corny jokes came across as a bit overtly scripted (although there was a bit with an exercise bike which suggests a fun direction). He’s doing a lite-version of the Ayoade “this is because of editing” schtick. Really it’s difficult for me to judge because I’m quite far away from the target audience.
So… not sure what to make of it, keeps many of the UK’s issues, improves some bits, does other things slightly worse… score draw? Fascinated to see what they make of it over there though. I kind of hope it’s successful, because imagine a set built with American money.