WIDM Anniversary

Starts Saturday 5th September on Avrotros

Well this is all very exciting, ten celebs, previous players of WIDM, get a second chance at glory in this special 20th anniversary edition of the show filmed in secret last year. None of them are winners, so they’ve all got something to prove.

They are:

• Ron Boszard – took part in S18 in Georgia, where he got eliminated first, was offered a way back into the game and failed.
  • Tina de Bruyn – took part in S20 in China earlier this year, finished 8th.
  • Nadja Hüpscher – Took part in S07 in Thailand, finishing 4th.
  • Nikkie de Jeger – star of S19 in Colombia where she finished 8th.
  • Horace Cohen – Took part in S11, El Salvador and Nicaragua, finished 8th.
  • Ellie Lust – Took part in S16 in the Dominican Republic finishing seventh, made a big thing about “etherdiscipline” (walkie talkies).
  • Peggy Vrijens – the contestant show was on the longest time ago, S06 in Argentina, finishing third.
  • Tygo Gernandt – Took part in S14, Hong Kong and Philippines, finished 3rd.
  • Patrick Martens – Took part in S08 in Mexico, where he finished third.
  • Jeroen Kijk in de Vegte – Took part in S17: Oregon, USA, finishing fifth.

It sounds like our usual translator will be doing translations (Thanks Maria!) so look out for those on Youtube in due course. Please remember we’re a UK site with primarily a UK audience, so please don’t spoil what happens until the translations come out – thanks.

Jump to relevant points of the discussion:

50 thoughts on “WIDM Anniversary

1. Brandon

I might actually have a chance at doing reasonably well at this if I actually remember to do it past the first few weeks. That is partly based on the quality of the show and I have a feeling this is going to be a good series, but then we were mostly positive about last series going into it and it had some lazy, dull moments.

1. John R

There is bound to be a clue in Episode 1 relating to the year the former contestant and now Mole appeared in!

1. John R

The only cast list you need is :-

Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron
      Ron

Not quite sure how I feel about the producers disallowing the Taskmaster style thinking by the candidates in the meal challenge…

1. Brandon

Nothing too original, although I thought that the looking for people with the right names in the meal task was very entertaining. “Do you have a friend called Mario?” “No.” “Do you have a friend called Stefano?” “Er…no.”

2. Brig Bother Post author

Agreed on all counts.

Also already looking forward to seeing if anyone *just* missed the Mole in the final task.

1. Matt Clemson

I do hope this means that the Mole now has a big stack of exemptions and will – just for the look of the thing – play one at every test.

2. Chris M. Dickson

Crikey, that was quick! Many thanks to the fansubber.

Fun, low-octane stuff. I’ve seen far from every season of WIDM but will be hoping for those I remember to go all the way. As usual, I have no idea.

2. Matt G

I’m so excited! I usually forget that the season is starting, so I end up missing the chance to play along with everyone. I’m loving the Reality TV Warriors podcast, too!

1. Brandon

The twist at the execution was rubbish,as if they’d put an extra chair out by mistake and didn’t want to admit it so they made up a game on the spot.

1. Holger

I think this is simply “Ellie doesn’t get to see her screen”. If she had done the worst test everybody would’ve been through.

1. Harry

While I agree a little I don’t think that subplot has ended yet. The next time trailer shows Ellie getting into a blacked out van on her own so I’m sure she’s given herself something special next episode. The exemption seemed only needed to prevent her going out until then (which is a bit naff but so be it)

I enjoyed that episode. The graphics during the laser assignment were nice and we don’t often see it in dutch mole. The first assignment was a variation on a classic but a goodish one, though I do wonder what belgian mole would do differently if they were to base a challenge on that idea (there are lots of things which could make it better)

The last challenge was a bit of a damp squib though. I was expecting the treasurer to have to answer all the questions that were asked to build up the potential money instead of just being offered 1500

I still haven’t a clue who the mole is but all my favourites are there still at least!

1. Brig Bother Post author

Yes, agree with all this pretty much, there is clearly going to more to the Ellie thing than meets the eye. Basically, feels like a Belgian style twist without quite the finesse. Classic WIDM. We’ll see.

Otherwise a pretty enjoyable episode in the main, we really missed out on Ron not getting back into the game in his season, he’s so entertainingly useless. In fact I think this is probably the best cast in years, albeit not from a standing start.

2. Brandon

The laser challenge was the best version of that in a few years. I think there’s something going on with the Ellie twist like a variant of the On The Run challenge from Mexico, except here it really doesn’t feel like she’s earned this where Joke had to get down the wall in the fastest time. Maybe the other contestants had to predict who would sit there.

1. John R

Ron and Nikkie had me in stitches as much as the taxi challenge from the previous season! I wonder why they played the elimination sound effect whilst revealing Nikkie’s green screen

3. John R

I can’t believe I only just randomly stumbled across this but someone on Spotify has literally created a playlist of Wie Is De Mol finale music tracks and it is AMAZING!

4. Alex McMillan

Is it frowned upon to speculate on clues to the Mole’s identity here?

1. Alex McMillan

Wonderful! I currently have a theory regarding the intro, in which we get a brief shot of the third assignment of Episode 1, showing the former Mole in the red outfit (don’t know names, apologies!). Now, I believe this shot was being shown from the Mole’s perspective. Only two people met that particular mole; Nikkie and Nadja.

5. Clicky

I have a theory from Episode 1 that I’m interested to hear other people’s opinion on.

During the third assignment of Episode 1, at the beginning, Rik informs the contestants (when he talks to them one on one) that they have the chance to earn $2500 AND Vital Information.

The question I post: What, exactly, do you all think the vital information is?

I don’t/didn’t really think the advise from a former mole was actually vital information (?).

My initial thought, before even seeing the mission itself, was that since he said $2500 AND Vital Info, that it really meant (without the contestant being aware) that however you can gain the $2500 is in itself, what also offers the vital info (and identity of The Mole). The way to earn the $2500 was to collect the $250 bills… And so when I saw who was on the $250 bill… I was like ha, that’s my Mole suspect. And that aligns with my current opinion of that person’s behavior compared to last season. I think there is a lot going on to distract from what Rik initially said at the beginning. I think my theory might be *too* clever to be real, but I still like it xD.

1. TVs Michael Harmstone

I think the vital information was just meant to be how a Mole thinks from the old Moles. If it was just “whoever’s on the 250 is the Mole”, then they’d have hidden it a bit better who was on it and not let everyone just walk past and look in I think!

1. Brandon

The “vital information” was almost useless though, just basic stuff that anyone who’s seen this show before would know, which makes me think there’s some kind of hidden clue in what they said, maybe the first letter of every word spells out something for example.

1. Brig Bother Post author

Right, elephant in the room – no expected reprucussions for Ellie taking the exemption seat. ‘Huh.’, as they say in American podcasts.

Really enjoyed this episode. For all the production decision doubts we’ve had over the past few years, they’ve never lost their eye for a great location and Tuscany has provided in spades.

Fun challenges this week (including, for the second week in a row, an explanatory graphic!), the fortress was obviously the highlight. And gosh, the ending – not even a preview! Have to say this feels like the most confident WIDM has felt in ages, certainly since Art left.

It also occured to me that production are missing a trick in not selling collectors sets of Mol Money after each series – they put so much effort in the designs usually, and we never really get to see them.

1. Brandon

Even if they just put the Molgeld designs online so you can print them yourself, that would be good enough. We rarely get to see it close up.

2. Brandon

First challenge was a little bit confusing to watch but not impossible to follow, lesser shows would have struggled to get the balance of making it look a bit chaotic still but easy to watch. The red shutters task was a simple idea done well, still not really sure what happened with the money as you would think it’s unfair if the wind or the people living in the flats shut it as some of the contestants guessed. I can’t really remember a time where any of the pairs were split up that the mole could have gone back and done something, but obviously they would edit out anything too blatant. The castle challenge is just brilliant, I might have made the minitasks lead into one another a bit more but that’s only a minor complaint, it feels like the WIDM we know and love is back again where there’s actually some effort and thought put into every challenge, not just the bits that look good in an advert.

That is, except from one big thing everyone has noticed. Did they just forget about the Ellie exemption thing? I liked Ellie’s line where she explains she waits for everyone else to sit down because it’s polite, but what’s the point in it? If this loose end isn’t tied up at all in the series that’s just lazy, I’m hopeful for something next episode, but they had no way of knowing Ellie would go through this time… unless she’s the Mole. Maybe the reason there was no Next Time was to avoid spoiling a big twist.

6. Joseph M

Had to drop in to mention how strong this last episode was! WIDM has been inconsistent at best in recent years and the first two episodes this year didn’t feel overly strong either outside of a couple of highlights in the names challenge and the laser game. But this was an incredibly good episode with three really strong concepts for challenges.

The chain game while a little bland visually was still a good and challenging mechanic that everyone understood and the time limit certainly tested the team. The blinds game was stunning visually and played out fun as well with a nice little mystery at the end of what might have gone wrong. And then there’s the castle games which would have been at home on De Mol with its classic minigames structure and layered play!

What an episode! Hoping the cliffhanger plays into something fun.

1. Alex McMillan

Was the choice of showing the current execution as a sort of flashback something they usually do? It felt very odd to me