Alright, let’s open the box and see what you’ve written. Remember: we can’t prove the veracity of any of these, the only people who know the truth are the people involved and the writer themselves. We’ll try and sort fact from fiction though.
- Epic Gameshow is filming at the moment – Price is Right films two episodes on Friday including a Christmas special! (Not really gossip, but factual. As long as they don’t mess up Play Your Cards Right.)
- Stephen Mulhurn to host new ITV gameshow Who Gets The House in which families compete for a bigger slice of their inheritance. (Ha ha!)
- Despite Jeremy Vine’s ritualistic insistence on Revenge of the Egghead that CJ wrote the penalty questions himself, I have heard it from CJ himself that he did not in fact write any of them. (This is the sort of thing that could BRING DOWN THE BBC. I hope you are happy, 12 Yard.)
- CHALLENGE BRIG: get Anne Hegarty, Richard Osman, Rick Edwards or someone with a name entry on UKGS and at least 123,456 Twitter followers to take part in a live Ask Me Anything interview on the Bar by the end of August and it’s worth £100 to the UK charity of your choice. You’re on a freeroll here. (Hmm.)
- Went to a mega long record at Media city recently for a show called Quizmaster for ITV. Not sure I’m allowed to say anything else about it… (You didn’t sign an NDA and you’re anonymous! Anyway this came up variously in last month’s Stool Pigeon).
- ITV have had to pay through the nose for The Masked Singer after getting into a bidding war with Channel 4. What makes it sting even more is that they were offered the format first (before it was a hit on Fox) and admitted at a recent industry event that they laughed it out of the room when it was first pitched. (Believable. And speaking of The Masked Singer, congrats to Friend of the Bar and regular German correspondent Nico W who worked on the recent highly successful German version.)
- Supermarket Sweep is going to be returning in September and will be more riskae hence the move to ITV2. (Would you like to fondle me baps, babe? Can you handle my banana? Etc.)
- A contestant gets to question 15 in the new series of Millionaire, and gives a Final Answer. I won’t say what the outcome is. (Gosh. Has Stellify gone from making it too hard to making it too easy? At least they seem reasonably happy to give cash out.)
- I feel like for the nickelodeon crystal maze, they are likely to go for a social media influencer, perhaps one that already lives in the UK (to save money) They did it with the new version of double dare and that worked out pretty well. Just not sure who. (Is Stampy The Cat still A Thing? I’m 38 now.)
- A team is apparently winning [REDACTED] in an upcoming episode of the Celebrity Chase. (I’m redacting this because we don’t really do spoilers, and it also means when it happens it will still be a surprise. It’s a lot of money though.)
- It’s time to rattle those pots and pans. (Is… is it a red tomato day?)
- One of the topics on this evening’s Just a Minute is/was ‘Gameshows’! Mostly about Sale of the Century and Jeopardy… (Gosh.)
- Famous online trivia contest LearnedLeague (players over the years include Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, James Holzhauer and at least three UK Chasers) has been approached for a loose quiz show interpretation, i.e. someone likes the name and wants to use it. (Hey producers! If you want a show that’s a bit like LearnedLeague but the rights are much cheaper, there’s this podcast I hosted and produced once upon a time…)
- Rumor has it that Ninja Warrior UK has got axed. No confirmation yet but let’s see happens. (Seems like an odd period to axe it, after someone has won it and the numbers have been consistent (if unspectacular), but Lost in TV who normally advertise the audience tickets for filming August/September don’t seem to be advertising them this year. So who knows?)
And that’s all the weather… for now.