Fort Boyard 2017

Begins Saturday 24th June,
7:55pm UK (8:55 France)

France 2 or inevitable naughty streaming

In what’s looking like a greatly exciting Summer with the return of The Crystal Maze, the granddaddy of the genre, Fort Boyard, returns for its 28th series in France and ten more teams of celebs arrive at the fort with the aim of prising Pere Fouras’ treasure from his hands.

This year sounds like a continuation of last year’s structure, likely retaining the board game theming, but with new touches here and there. Of note: adventures are governed by red clepsydres this year and it sounds like the prisons and Blanche’s Hall of Judgement are getting makeovers not unlike the Council got last year.

Six new cells and 20 new games promised, there’s a new Lady Boo and a new professor in the Boyard Academy, Eric Lampaert who’s a British comic and French film star (although I must say I hadn’t heard of him before this) alongside Francis Lalanne.

Join us as we dissect the show each week!

38 Comments

1. Matt C says:

Nice to see Narcisse Lalanne back, too. Looks like Eric’s character is Pere Fouras’s nephew? Wonder how that’ll play out.

2. Lee says:

Its also Olivier Minne 15th season.

3. Mika says:

Any tips on watching on the dark webs for this year? (Same for Crystal Maze)
    Then again, I can never watch it live usually anyway cause of timing.

• Jack B says:

Last year I was able to find videos of the episodes available on various french video sites within 24 hours of the broadcast. Presumably this will happen again this series.

• Jack B says:

I wonder if Opera VPN will work for Pluzz like it does for ProSieben? Has anyone tried this??

• Matt Clemson says:

Haven’t tried Opera yet; last year I used OKLiveTV, and I’ve just looked again briefly and it *seems* to be working.

• Brig Bother says:

Yes that’s how I watched most of last year as well, although that’d only work in a live capacity.

If anyone has Opera and wants to try pluzz.fr, do have a go and let us know as I’m at work right now and can’t test it myself.

• Matt Clemson says:

Experimenting with the Android version (so won’t necessarily be how things work on PC): There’s no French server, but I’ll take a look to see if some other regions might be ‘good enough’.

• Jack B says:

No French server on the PC version either. Of the 5 server options I tried Canada (figuring that was the only one that stood a chance) with no luck.

Incidentally, pluzz.fr doesn’t seem to exist anymore- it just redirects to france.tv where you have the catchup options.

• Brig Bother says:

Oh that’s interesting, hadn’t realised that.

If you don’t mind paying money, Tunnelbear is $10 a month, although that’s a bit pricey if FB on catch-up is all you want. You can go pretty much anywhere, though.

• Lee says:

Mainly for Fort boyard. there a Russian social media site called vk.com. They have some Fort boyard groups you can join and can find a host of old episodes and new episodes on it.

4. Nicolas Descamps says:

Just a reminder that Eric Lampaert was the “amazing fiancee” in the third season of the reality show “My amazing fiance” (Mon incroyable fiancé)

5. Lee says:

News just in. Apparently Belgium have brought some rights to the show. And they will be airing the new series on the Friday 23rd June. (A day before France)

Can also catch it on La Une at 9:05pm Friday 23rd June. (Their Time)

• Brig Bother says:

I find that deeply odd. I also daresay suggest most of us will be busy watching Crystal Maze.

• Jack B says:

On the plus side, their catchup service is easier to access then the French- I just got it to work using Hola Unblocker set to Belgium. If this is true, it may be helpful for those who can’t watch live on either countries feed.

• Lee says:

i do think its odd. Unless they plan on testing the waters and quickly filming there own series soon after (I believe the fort is still open to filming in July)

• Brig Bother says:

I’m not sure there’s much point, La Une will almost certainly broadcast mainly to the French speaking part of Belgium who’ll know all the French celebs anyway, it doesn’t really make sense to then make your own French language version. It might be testing the waters for next year though.

6. Brig Bother says:

OK, here’s something I was quite wrong about – you CAN be taken prisoner during the red clepsydre adventures, it’s this year’s big rule change.

I’m not sure how much I like this, we’ll see.

• Jack B says:

Blanche apparently remains after the key games, meaning anyone taken prisoner during the adventures will have to do the Great Escape automatically.

I’m not sure what to think about this- it seems pretty harsh, and increases the likelihood of having incredibly short treasure room runs. At least we’ll probably get to see what happens if 2 people need to run the escape.

• Brig Bother says:

I reckon that’s one of the thoughts behind it, the show’s creative director said in an interview once that multiple people doing it at once in practice was hilarious.

For me it seems like 28 series in seems like an odd time to do it, but I made peace with outdoor adventures as key games so I’m willing to give it a chance.

I would have been perfectly happy if every adventure was governed by a red water clock with the clue exploding when it runs out, it’d make the edit a lot easier and it would feel like we aren’t not being shown the whole stroy some of the time (we still wouldn’t, but at least we can have a much better idea the game and timing is above board).

However if it means getting rid of combination locks and boxes for at least some of the games, surely the least impressive 10 seconds on television, for a better method (which sounds like the case for the games where these are going to be used) then this is a good thing, even if the traditional outdoors adventures will still be using them.

7. Lee says:

First Trailer

8. Mika says:

Ep 1 promo.
    Asile looks like it has an interesting twist on it, not sure how that’s gonna work in-game.

And what’s the game with the bungee cord grids…? I don’t remember hearing about it in the previews.

• Brig Bother says:

New prison escape I reckon.

Looks like a new gag for the Hall of Adventures elevator, although I hope they’ve got more than one.

I reckon the asylum is a rotating room with a fixed camera.

• Alex says:

From pics, I believe the asylum does have the two-part-room system that the original had.

• Mika says:

Best guess is, since it doesn’t look like it has that switch mechanism the original had, is maybe it’s “Smash into the room, rotate the room, leave the room, repeat”? Seems a bit overly complicated though.

9. Brig Bother says:

I think the question we all want to know the answer to but nobody has dared ask yet: is the Shooting Gallery returning?

• Lee says:

Not sure. but i know something is done down there

• Alex says:

There’s a new game in the courtyard involving basically mini-Atlaspheres, and whilst we don’t know that it’s played, one of the photos that someone took during filming has the hexagonal stand the gun is on in the courtyard ready to be placed, so…probably.

I’m probably looking into this too much.

• Brig Bother says:

Other things I’ve gleaned looking through recent pictures:

* The Spider looks like it’s had a radical overhaul, which is probably for the best.
        * There’s an adventure called “the stone lance”, which seems to involve some sort of lie-down ducking stool over the sea although I don’t know.
        * The Infernal Tyrolene seems to involve the person going down the zipline throwing some sort of flare into a barrel.
        * Some weeks there are TWO Champions of the Cage!

• Alex says:

The ‘stone lance’ is basically Crossbow-on-the-cheap. Guy lies down beneath a target, team fires balls from a slingshot at the target, a bullseye does what you’d expect.

10. Jack B says:

New promo shows off a new council game:

• Alex says:

Ah, it’s a revamp of Flechettes from 2008. They’ve ironed out possible cheating as the original one had the players drop darts at a height manually, and the measures put in place to ensure that the darts were dropped at the same height weren’t the best.